- Advice & Education
- Community Support
- International Family Equality
- Legal & Financial
- News & Politics
- Travel & Vacations
Your picture-perfect view of new parenthood probably involves mom and dad staring lovingly over a crib as the baby sleeps. However, you, especially as a dad, may want to evaluate sleeping options and here's why:
1. The baby-in-crib alone is a relatively recent and distinctly American practice. If you think about it, before multi-room dwellings and back to caveman days, families used to sleep together for warmth and safety. Most of the rest of the world "co-sleeps" and finds it completely natural to do so.
Sudden Infant Death syndrome (SIDS) is defined as the sudden, unexplained death of an infant, and is the one of the main causes of death among infants between a month and a year. SIDS is said to occur only when no possible explanation can be found even after:
* Examination of the place where the death occurred
* Review of medical history of infant and family
Is it okay to let the baby share your bed with you? There is no single correct answer to this situation. It is up to you, as a parent, to decide after knowing its pros and cons:
Advantages of co-sleeping
* Sleeping with your baby can foster a closer bond between you and your child.
* It gives you more time to spend with your baby. This is especially important for working couples.
* According to some studies, breastfeeding is higher amongst babies who share their parents’ bed
* Babies who sleep with their parents are believed to enjoy better sleep.
As a parent, you may have to travel with your baby on short and long trips. This would means taking your baby away from cozy, familiar surroundings in to new places with which your baby is not familiar. This can turn out to be a stressful experience for you as well as for your baby.
While traveling with your baby, plan early. Gather as much information as possible and try to cut down the inevitable uncertainties that go with any most travel plans.
These simple guidelines can make travel an enjoyable and pleasant experience for yourself and fun for your baby:
Put away your snorkel and flippers, your fish tank and filter and get ready for the ultimate virtual underwater experience. Applause® from Russ, a brand of Russ Berrie and Company, Inc. (NYSE:RUS) and its subsidiary Russ Berrie U.S. Gift, Inc., introduces SeaPals™, a new line of marine-inspired plush that allows members to create their own virtual and interactive aquarium amid realistic ocean scenery.
On the plane
Making a paper doll chain is a perfect activity for dads and children on a sleepy afternoon. It is simple and does not require either time or money. Most importantly, it will be an exercise in creativity that the children will surely enjoy.
Things you will need:
* Some cardboard or hard paper
* A pair of scissors
* Pen, crayons, markers, and color pencils
* Colorful paper or fabric scraps, buttons, beads, ribbons, sequins, and stickers to decorate the dolls
Steps to make the doll chain: